I can’t think of a better interview to start off 2013 than Andrea and her powerful story. Here’s a beautiful, passionate, full-of-life, woman who despite dedicating much of her life to helping others found herself, not too long ago, addicted to alcohol.
Perhaps what I find most empowering about her is that she’s putting a face to a problem that is far more common than most of all realize. A successful, suburban, small business owner and mom is clearly not your typical idea of an alcoholic. And yet Andrea found herself hiding her drinking from her husband and friends and avoiding recognizing the truth of her behavior.
Fortunately she found her inner compass and decided one unforgettable day to end her road to nowhere and begin again. Last September Andrea completed one full year of being sober. To be an “under-the-radar” woman and shed a light on this past is courageous, but for a person who makes a living from helping others to be this open and vulnerable is not just remarkable but beyond courageous.
This is a story about honesty, truth, courage, determination, soulful living, and about regaining the strength to start again. May Andrea’s story light up your own inner thirst to know that no matter how difficult a problem might seem you can always decide to start again.
Mp3: Download audio / Listen to yourgreatlifetv on your MP3
“All we have is right now, this moment” ~Andrea Owen
Some key insights from this interview:
- Why a divorce at a young age awakened her to a new way of living
- How she overcame a debilitating eating disorder at 31
- The blessing that came from stopping apologizing for who she was
- How she overcame an addiction to alcohol and has stayed sober for over a year
- Why taking life one day at a time makes accomplishing the impossible, manageable
- What’s the beauty and slowing down and how her children have been a teacher for being in the moment
- The wake up call that came from embracing self-love
- The importance of moving forward and choosing not to be a victim
Andrea Owen – Life Coach & Founder of Yourkickasslife.com
Andrea Owen is a Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC) from The Coaches Training Institute. She holds a Bachelor of Science from California State University in Kinesiology, specializing in Health Science, as well as a personal training certification from the American Council on Exercise since 2005.
She has facilitated many workshops for girls hosted by Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty and is an active member of the Actionist Community (R) led ny Jessica Weiner, a special aggregate of women whose efforts inspire and empower women and girls to live confidently and change the world around them.
She has also done volunteer work for the Special Olympics, Best Buddies and Rady’s Children’s Hospital.